Monday 18 November 2013

The Hunt Part IV - Ferrari 400i Pavesi

On a Dutch auction website I had seen an interesting 400 coming up for sale.  It was a particular version with a tailor made interior by Pavesi, likely some kind of one-off. For the records:

 
http://classiccar-auctions.com/home/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=417:ferrari-400i-pavesi-1984&lang=en


Ferrari 400i Pavesi 1984
Datum eerste toelating: 28 maart 1984
Datum eerste afgifte Nederland: 01 februari 2005
Vervaldatum APK: 11 juni 2013
Chassisnummer: F101CL34509
Km. stand: 73.286
Kenteken: 75-HZ-ZJ
Kleur: Wit
Interieur: notenhout en crème met licht blauw
Sold for: 18.000

 
The car could be seen on a exhibition, the interclassics in the MECC, early January. A nice occassion to visit this show. Although I found the interior slightly peculiar I was interested to see it in real. The trouble with auction visits is, you can’t properly check or even testdrive. In this case the car was ringfenced so you could only partly check the outside. On the pictures and from a distance the car looked OK but on closer inspection you could see various minor things like torn dashboard, worn seats, rust, paint spots, but nothing significant. I more or less sensed the car was neglected over the years but I could be wrong. Next it was not possible to check for functionality or available documentation and maintenance history. Although the price was interesting I considered it to much to
gamble. In the end there was only 1 bidder and the car got sold for 18.000 Euro (excluding tax and auction costs).I’m curious to know where this one ended up.


When I finished my round on the show I checked it once more. Just when I was about to leave I bumped into Peter and Lex. What a unexpected surprise. So after a drink and catching up I left home.

Interestingly enough I spotted a 400 in the parking garage. When I wanted to leave the garage I ran into the previous owner of my current daily driver. He was stunned to see his own car again and was walking around it to ensure it was his car. He happens to live in Maastricht and cycled to the MECC to visit the car show. What a nice encounter. I’m definately going again to the upcoming show in January as there is a nice exposition regarding 100 years of Maserati: http://www.ic-tm.nl/en/











No comments:

Post a Comment